This is the 4th one of a little tradition, my special Paleoanthropology annual report… The list of my favorite hominin #FossilFriday tweets in 2017, from number 10 to 1.
What’s a ‘FossilFriday’? Every Friday on Twitter, people share pics of their favorite fossils, related scientific papers or blog posts, by using the hashtag #FossilFriday. This is a great manner to show famous or rare pieces of museum collections, and to share research works. Every Friday I love to join & tweet about a different hominin fossil. Now, let’s go!
10. Very nice National Geographic hologram cover from November 1985, starring the Taung child:
9. I wonder how many times I’ve been here: the Human Evolution gallery of the Museo de Ciencias Naturales in Madrid:
8. Was 2017 the boom of 3D prints of hominin casts? Look at this beautiful collection!
7. And I loved this particular one… A 3D print of the famous Paranthropus aethiopicus specimen nicknamed ‘Black Skull’… uh… or was it ‘Green Skull’? 🙂
6. Let’s get back to serious. Did I mention how much I love hominin cast collections?
5. Of course, Chris Stringer can never be missing in any annual #FossilFriday lists. In fact he was #1 in all the three previous!
4. My ‘dear boys & girls’ are the paranthropines. This time they are represented by the Konso skull:
3. Mike D’Emic (@astrophocaudia) once wrote a lovely definition: «Fossils are imperfect but incredibly rich records of life in the past». Check why:
2. This was an amazing find 144 years later!
And my favorite #FossilFriday ever is…
1. Unique photos of what’s possibly my favorite hominin skull. Thanks for sharing, Adam!
Do you want more? Check out the past lists below:
- The Top 10 hominin #FossilFriday tweets of 2016 (click)
- The Top 10 hominin #FossilFriday tweets of 2015 (click)
- The Top 10 hominin #FossilFriday tweets of 2014 (click)
Thanks for reading my blog! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 🙂