It is time for year-end lists. Below is a little tradition on this blog: the 10 best hominin #FossilFriday tweets published in 2022, from number 10 to 1.
What is a ‘FossilFriday’? Every Friday, mainly on Twitter, people post pics of interesting fossils using the hashtag #FossilFriday about famous specimens, museum collections, scientific papers, blog posts, odd fossils, etc. I love to join & tweet about hominin fossils. One more time -9 years doing this- the top 10 of 2022:
10. Guess who’s coming to dinner… By Lee Berger @LeeRberger & Keneiloe Molopyane @Keneiloe
9. One of the enigmatic fossils of the ‘Muddle in the Middle’. By DEATHREVOL @DEATHREVOL1
8. The beautiful clavicles of the La Ferrassie 1 Neandertal. By Asier Gómez Olivencia @AsierGOlivencia
7. Cannibal memories of Gough’s Cave. By Antonio Rodríguez-Hidalgo @WhiteRabbit36.
5. Stunning variation within Early Homo sapiens. By Chris Stringer @ChrisStringer65.
4. That’s no burned jaw. By Andy I. R. Herries @Ozarchaeomaglab.
3. Very nice photo of OH 65 habilis maxillary bone. By Julio Mercader Florín @ProfMercader.
2. Molarized premolars in Paranthropus boisei never cease to amaze. By Marta Mirazón Lahr @MartMLahr.
1. Some fossils are beautiful even after they have been crushed almost beyond recognition. By John Hawks @johnhawks.
Want more? Check out the lists from previous years:
Merry Christmas and Happy 2023!